Have you ever wondered why people claim that drinking water helps you lose weight? Sure, it helps to flush out toxins and waste, but is that it? You just “piss away” the weight? Well, not exactly…
This article is all about using water to burn calories and shed weight by a method called “water-induced thermogenesis.” Thermogenesis is the production of heat in the body from burning calories, and we want to explain to you how water produces heat to burn those calories!
According to a study on water-induced thermogenisis published by the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, drinking 500 ml (approximately 17 oz) of room temperature water can increase your metabolic rate by 30%. These effects take place within just 10 minutes of consumption, and reach a maximum after 30-40 minutes. That’s 24 calories burned just from drinking 17 oz of water! 40% of the effect is due to the energy it takes for our bodies to warm the water (this is the thermogenic response,) but this effect does not take place with anything less than 500 ml/17 oz of water at a time.
Let’s break that down one more time: 17 oz of room temp water at a time = 24 calories burned. If you drink a gallon (~130 oz) of water a day in 17 oz increments, then you are burning an extra ~184 calories a day! I mean come on, it’s just too easy!
*Take-aways and tips from the FFF Coaches:
- To have a calorie burning effect, you have to drink 17 oz or more of water at a time, as sipping small amounts does not have the same thermogenic response.
- Begin your day with water, first thing upon waking drink 17 oz at room temp.
- Use an app or timer on your phone as a reminder to drink water. Aim for your body weight in oz of water per day, 17 oz at a time.
- If you feel hungry but it has not been long since your last meal, drink 17 oz of water and wait 10 minutes. If you still feel hungry, then have your next snack or meal.
- Keep water with you at all times so you won’t have an excuse not to drink it!
Water is essential to life. It is essential to cell function and without it, it can damage our DNA. It is necessary to carry out all bodily functions. Keep that in mind when you are drinking water, and know that it’s ability to help you lose weight is just another one of its magical benefits!